Prof. Dr. M. Selim Toha is an educationist and currently a senior most faculty member at the Faculty of Law, Islamic University Kushtia 7003, Bangladesh.
He is a highly respected and accomplished figure in the fields of law, human rights, and social development in Bangladesh.
As an Executive Member of FAIR, a human rights and development organization, Dr. Toha has been instrumental in promoting the values of justice, equality, and fairness in the country. Professor Toha is a well-known academic in Bangladesh with more than 30 years of teaching experience at university level. He started his academic career as a Lecturer in the Department of Law, IU, Kushtia on 13 November 1991. Besides IU, Kushtia he also worked at other universities. He joined as a professor (by lien) in the Department of Law, Jagannath University, Dhaka and taught for a short period. Professor Toha also worked as a visiting Law Professor at the International University, Sylhet; Green University, Dhaka and First Capital University, Chuadanga. Apart from teaching, Professor Toha held a remarkable array of academic and administrative positions, including Treasurer of the Islamic University, Kushtia from 22 August 2016 to 21 August 2020.
He served as Dean of the Faculty of Law and Chairman of the Department of law. He was the founder Chairman of department of Law and Land Management. He was also the Director of Institute of Islamic Education and Research (IIER) and Teacher Student Cultural Center (TSCC). Professor Toha was the Founder and Provost of the residential hall named after the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Proctor and legal advisor of Islamic University, Kushtia, Bangladesh.
Professor Toha has been a key member in many other vital committees like chancellor nominee Syndicate Member, president and member of Finance Committee, president and member of Sports Committee, president of Provost Council and Deans Committee.
Professor Toha has published 20 (Twenty) research articles so far in various peer-reviewed journals in home and abroad. He served as the Editor of the Islamic University studies, a Journal
of Faculty of Law, Islamic University, Kushtia and Journal of Islamic Education and Research, Institute of Islamic Education and Research IIER. He is an Advisor of the editorial board of Bakura University Law Review, Bakura University, West Bengal, India.
He successfully supervised ten PhD students and one postdoctoral candidate. He has also worked as an expert member/examiner for PhD research work in many universities, both at home and abroad.
Professor Toha has attended and participated in many national and international workshops/seminars as a guest / keynote speaker. Few of them are summarized as follows:
- Meeting with Directors of various clinics and observed different law classes at Bluhm Legal Clinic, Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, USA from 6 October 2015 to 9 October 2015 for the development of clinical legal education, Department of Law, Islamic University under the IQAC-HEQEP project.
- About five years in different terms, he conducted a training course as team leader on Leadership & Conflict Management for the Rohingya Refugee Community৷ at Ukhia and Kutupalong camps in Cox’s Bazar, under the project of UNHCR.
- Training program on Refugee Law from 30 September to 02 October 2005, organized by Empowerment through Law of the Common People (ELCOP) and sponsored by United
- Training program on Environment Law organized by BELA (Bangladesh Environment
- The Clinical Legal Education and Advocacy “Workshop Jointly sponsored by the Bangladesh Bar Council and New South Wales Bar Association (Australia) from 2-6
- The Human Rights program at Dhaka was jointly organized by the Faculty of Law of the University of Dhaka and regional commission of UNESCO Bangkok in 1991. A few Law Firm visited Toronto from 23-26 October 2017 to gain experience in the legal system and court process in Canada.
- Seminar on International Conference on Informatics, Electronics and Vision-2018 (ICIEV-2018) from 24 June to 2 July, held in Kitakyushu, Japan.
- International Teaching and Training Program of Erasmus+KA107 International Credit Mobility Project under Cankiri Karatekin University in Turkey funded by the European Union from 13 March 2023 to 17 March 2023.
Professor Toha’s passion for social development and human rights has led him to hold several leadership positions in various social organizations. He is a member of the Inter-University Sports
Board. He has previously served as a councilor for the Bangladesh Cricket Board BCB and is currently a councilor for the Bangladesh Tennis Federation.
Professor Toha is currently serving as the General Secretary of Kushtia Nagrik (Citizen) Committee, an important social organization of Kushtia district.
Dr. Toha is an advisor of Empowerment Through Law of the Common People (ELCOP), ELCOP is a voluntary, non-profitable, non-political, non-governmental human rights education, research and training organization dedicated to the common people of Bangladesh.
He was elected joint general secretary of the Islamic University Teachers Association and executive member for three times. He served as an elected general secretary of Shapla Forum, the organization of progressive teachers of this university.
Professor Dr. Selim Toha was an accomplished football player in his student life. One of his hobbies is playing lawn tennis and traveling to various important places at home and abroad.
Professor Toha was born on November 11, 1964 in Khash Mathurapur village of Daulatpur upazila of Kushtia district in an eminent family. His father Khoda Baksh was a prominent sports organizer and social worker, and mother Sahara Khatun contributed significantly by leading women’s development in her region.
In personal life, Professor Dr. Selim Toha has a very happy family. His wife is a head teacher of a government primary school. They have two sons- the elder son is an officer in the Bangladesh Air Force and the younger son is studying at the higher secondary level.
Professor Dr. Selim Toha’s only dream is to see a developed Bangladesh with rule of law, basic human rights and political, economic and social security and equality, freedom and justice guaranteed for all citizens of Bangladesh.